Re: Low burning speed

Hi,

i am participating in this discussion because i am very
interested in the technical reason of Tomasz' problem.
After all the DVD code of libburn is inspired by the code
in dvd+rw-tools.

Andy Polyakov wrote:
> Velocity zone change has
> taken place much earlier and at the point where performance dropped from 6x
> to 3.?x instead of increasing to advertised 8x. I must have failed to
> believe/accept that zone change can be at such low address... So it's not
> "too early," but "indeed quite strange."

It might be interesting to see what happens if
speed is set to -speed=6 explicitely.

In a second experiment -speed=8 could be interesing,
too.

Another experiment would be to use my program
cdrskin which is based on libburn.
Home:   http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_eng.html
Source: http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin-0.4.2.pl00.tar.gz
Binary: http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_0.4.2.pl00-x86-suse9_0-static.tar.gz
It is to be operated like cdrecord.

As said, libburn's understanding of MMC DVD specs
is quite similar as in growisofs. Nevertheless it
is different code which i derived from hints of growisofs
and from reading MMC-5 specs.

So if it shows no speed decay then we would have
good chances to find the decisive difference.
On the other hand, if the slowdown occurs with
cdrskin as with growisofs then we would have
to compare our command sequences with those of
cdrecord (option -V if i remember right).

Regrettably i got not much chance to purchase
8x DVD+RW. One of my drives would be able to
write them (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B).