Re: burning at end of dvd

Hi,

Jørn Simonsen:
> I have a question on burning isos at the end of a dvd.
> I was thinking of writing a fake extent or volume in the beginning of
> the dvd of the size computed so that the real data would be rigth at the
> end.
> Would that work?

Not with wodim or cdrecord on DVD media.
They allow no multi-session with DVD.

growisofs, cdrskin or xorriso can do.

It depends on the media type whether the filler
session needs to be ISO 9660 or whether it may be
just a lot of zeros. An ISO image as filler should
work in nearly any case.

All DVD media types besides fast blanked DVD-RW and
probably DVD-R/DL can be talked into multi-session
with ISO images. But from the view of readers there
is a big difference between the two main families
of media.
See man cdrskin "CD Media", "DVD media".

> Would booters understand to skip the fake volume?

I understand that booting is not a matter of the
session structure but only of correct content of
the boot record pointing to the necessary components
needed for booting.
The format of a boot record and the way of pointing
is not really standardized.

In xorriso experiments we have relocated isolinux
boot images from one session to the next. The result
did boot. So it is not impossible. (xorriso option
-boot_image).
But i do not know yet how to construct a boot sector.
With or without session offset.

If you plan to use DVD-R or DVD+R you can make
experiments with re-usable media CD-RW or DVD-RW.
Not with DVD+RW or DVD-RAM. They have a different
session model.