Re: DVD-R as backup medium: growisofs + udftools

Giuseppe "Cowo" Corbelli wrote:
Joerg Schilling wrote:
I'm trying to backup a couple of GBs upon a DVD-R using Plextor PX-810SA,

What drive is this? Is this a Lite-ON?

Plextor PX-810SA

To start I thought about using packet writing / udftools. By reading documentation, it states that I have to

Wny?

I wanted to mount the media as rw and give its mountpoint to flexbackup as 'standard' directory.

If it's not rw media you will not have any joy at all mounting it rw. You can't modify sectors you need to modify, so there is no magic technique to make it otherwise unless you want to create your own filesystem.

You are better off using growisofs and appending any new or changed files in a new session. This is pretty automated. You can also do this with cdrecord, but you need to manually get the ISO filesize from the DVD and copy it into the command line of the burn command, and run as root for your operations, etc. In other words growisofs is adequate to the job and much easier to use, either tool or cdrskin will do the job in terms of capability.

dvd+rw-format -force /dev/sr0

for RW media only, so I guess this is not applicable to -R, right?

Why do you ike to do this at all?

Just quoting the documentation :-) I'm a newbie in DVD recording world.

Then I have to:
<quote>
Write an empty session spanning the whole medium. It seems that
without this step, any attempt to create the UDF filesystem will fail.

DVD-RW: growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/zero
</quote>

With DVD-R as well as with DVD+R, this is expected to create a nice coaster.

Yep, just as I thought.

But this does not sound good to me. Wouldn't this just waste my media?

Of course, see above.

Why don't you just write using mkisofs and cdrecord?

Definitely next step but follow this:
<ideal world>
mount -o rw /dev/sr0 /mnt/x
flexbackup writes to /mnt/x directly using udf/packet

<real world>
flexbackup writes to a directory
mkisofs /directory |cdrecord

In real world I need to make room for temporary backup files, which I thought I could avoy

There's a little program I wrote years ago for adding thing to DVD using cdrecord, see http://www.tmr.com/~public/source/ program addir. May or may not be useful, it does automate piping a list of names in, as from find, and adding them to the image.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still