Re: DVD-R as backup medium: growisofs + udftools

On Nov 27, 2007 2:46 PM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > packet writing / udftools
>
> I am not aware we have much expertise about this.
>
> > dvd+rw-format -force /dev/sr0
>
> This is for rewriteable DVD media only.
> Not for DVD-R.
> I guess dvd+rw-format would refuse anyway.

Right!

> I am not sure whether udftools is suitable
> for write-once media at all. Afaik, UDF has
> variants for re-writeable and for write-once
> situations.

Yeah. But I couldn't find any to work with -R media :-)

> Let me propose to write ISO 9660 multi-session
> instead.

Pretty much like CD. No problems here: already tried successfully.
But I need to store intermediate archives on some filesystem, which I
was trying to avoid.

> Caveats:
> Do not use option -dvd-compat for multi-session.
> I've read in growisofs sources that 9 GB DVD-R DL
> cannot do multi-session.
>
> If you ever use DVD-RW that way, then take care not
> to blank them in fast mode. That would make them
> single-session only. Rather use
>   dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/...
> whenever you want to start recording from scratch
> (not for appending a new session, of course).
>
> I prefer to format them to overwriteable state:
>   dvd+rw-format -force /dev/sr0
> This avoids the need for lengthy full blanking before
> re-use.

Good to know!

--
        Giuseppe "Cowo" Corbelli ~\/~ My software: http://cowo.yoda2000.net
-<! Non c'e' niente da dire in proposito. Tutto quello che uno deve fare e'