Re: cdrecord problems

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Independend of the question wether to use cdrecord,
> wodim or cdrskin, it makes sense to upgrade from
> earlier wodims to 1.1.6.

What do you gain from using a probably less defective
version of a dead fork from an old version of cdrecord
if you have the opportunity to use the working original?

> It eases the hald problem if one uses the block device
> on Linux kernel 2.6. wodim-1.1.6 does this by default.
> If only all hal demons would use O_RDWR|O_EXCL with all
> their open(2) calls then the world would be nearly ok.

People who believe that they may solve the hald problem by
using O_EXCL did not understand the problem.

> The result was clear: On Linux there is currently no
> reliable means to protect a drive from interference by
> a process which has read-access to the drive.
> Any precaution can get circumvented by accident, with
> no bad intention, and unavoidable within the respective
> use case.

The only reliable way would be to make hald on Linux behave cooperatively.

> It is a bit depressing.
>
> Shall i appeal to LKML ?

The problem may only be solved if the authors of hald and the relahed people
from the linux kernel did talk with me. This did work with Solaris, it will
work for Linux the same way. The fact that Linus T. is not interested in
a cleanly planned SCSI driver subsystem that only implements a single fully
working path to each piece of HW mahes this most unlikely to ever happen as long
as Linus T. influences the Linux kernel.

> This seems equivalent to the question wether i am
> ready to dive into Linux kernel development.
>
> Eduard Bloch was told that there is no problem if
> only we userland applications coordinate neatly.

Alan Cox did write a lot of wrong things in the past, with his
answers to Mr. Bloch, he was correct, but I did not see him writing this
claim. If he did really write that it is a Linux userland only problem,
he is of course wrong.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)