Re: growisofs WRITE@LBA=230540h error blanking DVD+RW media

Thomas Schimitt has it right -- the LBA=230540h is 2,295,104 decimal, which
is the total number of blocks on the DVD+RW medial  Since the LBA addressing
starts from zero, an attempt to address that block is trying to address on
past the last LBA block on the DVD.  (I originally checked this, but for
some stupid reason failed to make the translation from hex to decimal, no
doubt due to frustration and carelessness.)

So the error message is correct -- it is an incorrect argument.  There must
be some error then in the source code, since the program clearly knows the
size of the DVD media, and shouldn't be trying to write past the end of the
disc.

But more importantly, the resulting media is not blanked back to its virgin
state, but is merely nulled.  That is, there is still a Session 1 - track 01
structure, 4700372992 bytes long.  This I was trying to blank out entirely,
to start fresh.  My reading of the man pages for growisofs was that this was
accomplished by the command I used:

    growisofs -Z e:=/dev/zero

although the "/dev/zero" does seem to indicate that the track 01 should just
be zeroed out (filled with nulls), not eliminated entirely.

Also, the WRITE@LBA=230540h is being hidden with "EMAIL PROTECTED".  As I am
new to this list, I assume the subscribers are getting the actual text,
whereas the protected overwrite is for the mail list.

My further questions:

    1. What then is the command to blank the DVD+RW media, and return it to
virgin state?

    2. Who do I notify about the error in the code that causes it ti attempt
a write beyond the disc limit?

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

-- Roy Zider

Windows binaries from http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/win32/
    growisofs.exe    29-Jan-2006
    mkisofs.exe    03-Jul-2006