autotools. was: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Hi,

> I understand all about writing portable scripts with autoconf,

Could you have a look into our autotools configuration ?
The root directory can be inspected at
  http://libburnia.pykix.org/browser/libburn/trunk

Can you spot the reason why our configure gets that
empty loop list ?
A pointer to some autotools specs where i could learn
about the background would be best, of course.

I am quite sure one can avoid that empty loop
list by some variable ... but by which one ?
So for now i just run
  sed -e 's/^for ac_header in$/test -z 1 \&\& for ac_header in dummy/'
to get a more portable ./configure.

The reasons why we still use autotools although we
are not really in control of it are simple:
The popularity of  "./configure ; make"  and the fact
that it reduces the complex work of build configuration
to fixing a few simple bugs.

So for now all its little sins did not count enough
to sincerely strive for a change. But there are days
like yesterday where i at least dream of shell scripts
which are not larger than a few hundred lines.