Re: Samsung SH-S183A SATA on VIA VT6420 controller

Andreas Klauer wrote:
On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 06:08:46PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

At this point I begin to suspect hardware. Could you put you dmesg
output up where interested folks can download? There may be some clue
there. Also, try booting the system with the noacpi option, just for a
data point.

Thanks for your suggestion. Now that you've mentioned dmesg, there is a
message I didn't notice before:

ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0xC007
  Vendor: TSSTcorp  Model: CD/DVDW SH-S183A  Rev: SB02
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 05

Here is the complete dmesg:
http://www.metamorpher.de/files/dmesg.txt

What does abnormal status mean? Is the controller incompatible to my drive?

The part of interest is actually all of this:
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1.00: ATAPI, max UDMA/33
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
scsi2 : sata_via
ata2: SATA link down 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0xC007
  Vendor: TSSTcorp  Model: CD/DVDW SH-S183A  Rev: SB02
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 05

I think. The "abnormal status" almost certainly means "I don't understand" and not necessarily "broken," but it doesn't tell me much more than that. The device id is read, what does /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info tell you? Let's see what capabilities it detects.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc