Re: Samsung SH-S183A SATA on VIA VT6420 controller

Andreas Klauer <Andreas.Klauer@metamorpher.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:51:42PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > You did use a deprecated/uintentional dev= parameter.
> > Use cdrecord -v and in case there are questions run additional commands,
> > e.g.:
> >
> > cdrecord -atip
> > cdrecord -minfo
>
> Thank you very much for your quick reply.
>
> I tried it with cdrecord -v dev=1,0,0 ..., it produces the same error.
> I attached the output of cdrecord, cdrecord -atip, cdrecord -minfo.

First an important question: how did you connect that drive?
You used the sg interface but the drive is most likely ATAPI.

The problem seems to be that for unknown reasons, cdrecord complains about
cdrecord: Cannot init drive. and does not write any SCSI error message.
This sounds strange!

Could you please run (in a typescript):

cdrecord -v -V some_file

and send the last ~ 100 lines of messages?

It may be that you found one of the obscure Linux Kernel bugs:

Linux sometimes bastardizes the SCSI command content for SCSI
commands send over ATAPI. Did you try to use the drive (on the same
machine) running Solaris? I know of several cases where other OS
have no problems but Linux has.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)