Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Hi,

Joerg Schilling:
> I would not believe that this  is true....
> Please show the cdrecord -v -minfo output for such a disk.

See post scriptum.

> If the size is not needed in advance in this mode, then grosisofa
> _definitely_ does not write in the best mode.

Well, what is best ?
It works in both modes. Option -dvd-compat allows to control this.

There seem to be issues with old hardware, especially
DVD video players for the livingroom. In that case it is
advised to use DAO (growisofs -dvd-compat , cdrskin -sao ).

I myself have no substantial reports about any trouble
with "-tao" recorded DVD. Possibly there are not enough
users of cdrskin yet.
Meanwhile i dare to finalize DVD+R although growisofs code
warns not to do so. For me it works. For the rest we'll see.

me:
> > Do i miss something ? Is there a way to use
> > Incremental Streaming on DVD-R[W] via cdrecord ?
> > It would come in very handy for scdbackup.
Joerg:
> There is no such mode, what are you talking about?

MMC-5:
"5.3.11 Incremental Streaming Writable Feature (0021h)
 The Incremental Streaming Writable Feature identifies a Drive that is able
 to write data to a contiguous region, and is able to append data to a
 limited number of locations on the media. On CD media, this is known as
 packet recording, on DVD and HD DVD media it is known as Incremental Recording,
 and on a BD-R disc it is known as SRM recording. The Feature descriptor
 response data is defined in Table 112."

All my DVD drives offer this feature with unused DVD-R[W], with
appendable DVD-R[W] and with DVD-RW which were blanked fully
(e.g.  cdrecord blank=all).

> BTW: it would be intersting to knoe why several people did start own
> CD/DVD writing software project just to learn what they could learn from
> reading my software instead of helping with cdrtools.

My original motivation was a clash between you and some
of your critics in november or december 2005. I began to
fear for the CD burning support in Linux and googled for
background info in order to write a petition to LKML.
My plan was to ask for some simple Linux builtin CD support.
Like with DVD+RW or DVD-RAM.

But i stumbled over libburn and could enhance it to fulfill my
CD needs. Now if you have a thing that burns CD then the wish
to burn DVD is quite natural.
It is an interesting topic and i learned a lot by doing it.

I did not study the CD related code of cdrecord because i wanted
to achieve a technically independent implementation of CD
burning and because there were already enough projects which
maintained programs derived from cdrecord.
Nevertheless, i raise my hat in front of your merits. Your
program cdrecord guided me through that endeavor by setting
the standard to strive for. Many bytes have been copied from
its message output.

Another reason was that libburn already had CD SAO capabilities
and offered enough hints for finding the necessary info in
the SCSI specs.

As for DVD: Joerg, you are too stubborn with them.
Andy Polyakov demonstrated in growisofs that there are more
capabilities in DVD than cdrecord is willing to allow its users.

His tool dvd+rw-mediainfo tells in the headlines of the info
paragraphs what MMC command was used to retrieve. That is very
helpful for the purpose of learning.
To read the source of dvd+rw-tools is less comfortable.
Nevertheless the SCSI commands are clearly recognizable and
commented.  So it is not too hard to find the decisive spots
in the specs.
I have to thank Andy a lot for this rich dumpling of info.

As a contribution to overall knowledge i compiled my findings
in doc/cookbook.txt of cdrskin. It contains summaries of how to
deal with the various types of media. There are lots of pointers
into MMC-5 specs to justify my statements and to provide further
details.

PS:
Info output with a fully blanked DVD-RW by cdrecord, dvd+rw-tools,
and libburn's demo application telltoc (which comes with cdrskin).

$ cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -minfo
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a23 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : '_NEC    '
Identifikation : 'DVD_RW ND-4570A '
Revision       : '1.02'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Current: DVD-RW sequential overwrite
Profile: DVD+R/DL
Profile: DVD+R
Profile: DVD+RW
Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
Profile: DVD-RW sequential overwrite (current)
Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite (current)
Profile: DVD-RAM
Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
Profile: DVD-ROM
Profile: CD-RW
Profile: CD-R
Profile: CD-ROM
Profile: Removable Disk
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM driver (mmc_dvd).
Driver flags   : DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Drive buf size : 1769472 = 1728 KB
Current Secsize: 2048
book type:       DVD-RW, Version > 1.1x -> 1.2 (3.3)
disc size:       120mm (0)
maximum rate:    Not specified (15)
number of layers:1
track path:      Parallel Track Path (0)
layer type:      Rewritable Area (2)
linear density:  0.267 µm/bit (0)
track density:   0.74 µm/track (0)
phys start:      196608 (0x30000)
phys end:        2495103
end layer 0:     0
bca:             0
phys size:...    2298496
copyr prot type: 0
region mgt info: 0
application code:2
physical code:   214
last rec address:16621272
part v./ext code:3/1
ind wr. power:   0
wavelength code: 0
write str. code: 00 00 00 00
Manufacturer:   'MCC 01RW4X  '
rzone size:         36
rzone number:       1
border number:      1
ljrs:               0
track mode:         4 copy: 0
damage:             0
reserved track:     0 blank: 1 incremental: 0 fp: 0
data mode:          1
lra valid:          0
nwa valid:          1
rzone start:        0
next wr addr:       0
free blocks:        2298496
blocking factor:    16
rzone size:         2298496
last recorded addr: 0

    Capacity  Blklen/Sparesz.  Type
     2297888             2048  Unformated or Blank Media
     2297888             2048  Reserved (0)
     2297888               16  Reserved (0)
     2297888               16  Reserved (0)
Disk Is erasable
data type:                standard
disk status:              empty
session status:           empty
BG format status:         none
first track:              1
number of sessions:       1
first track in last sess: 1
last track in last sess:  1
Disk Is unrestricted
Disk type: DVD, HD-DVD or BD

Track  Sess Type   Start Addr End Addr   Size
    1     1 Blank  0          2298495    2298496         -1

Next writable address:              0
Remaining writable size:            2298496

$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
INQUIRY:                [_NEC    ][DVD_RW ND-4570A ][1.02]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
 Mounted Media:         14h, DVD-RW Sequential
 Media ID:              MCC 01RW4X
 Current Write Speed:   6.1x1385=8467KB/s
 Write Speed #0:        6.1x1385=8467KB/s
 Write Speed #1:        5.1x1385=7056KB/s
 Write Speed #2:        4.1x1385=5645KB/s
 Write Speed #3:        3.1x1385=4234KB/s
 Write Speed #4:        2.0x1385=2822KB/s
 Write Speed #5:        1.0x1385=1411KB/s
GET [CURRENT] PERFORMANCE:
 Write Performance:     4.0x1385=5540KB/s@[0 -> 2298496]
 Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2298496 R@5.0x1385=6925KB/s W@4.0x1385=5540KB/s
 Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2298496 R@5.0x1385=6925KB/s W@2.0x1385=2770KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
 Media Book Type:       00h, DVD-ROM book [revision 0]
 Legacy lead-out at:    2298496*2KB=4707319808
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
 Media Book Type:       33h, DVD-RW book [revision 3]
 Last border-out at:    2045*2KB=4188160
READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           blank
 Number of Sessions:    1
 State of Last Session: empty
 "Next" Track:          1
 Number of Tracks:      1
READ FORMAT CAPACITIES:
 unformatted:           2297888*2048=4706074624
 00h(800):              2297888*2048=4706074624
 10h(10):               2297888*2048=4706074624
 15h(10):               2297888*2048=4706074624
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           blank
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           2298496*2KB
 Track Size:            2298496*2KB
READ CAPACITY:          0*2048=0

$ test/telltoc --drive /dev/sr0
Initializing libburnia.pykix.org ...
Done
Aquiring drive '/dev/sg0' ...
Done
Media current: DVD-RW sequential recording
Media status : is blank
Media reuse  : is erasable
Write multi  : allows multi-session , allows multiple tracks
Write start  : prohibits write start addressing
Write modes  : TAO (advised) , SAO
Write space  : 4488.1 MiB  (2297888s)
Avail. speed : max=4.0  , min=2.0
Speed unit 1x: 1385.0 kB/s  (DVD)
Speed descr. : 5540 kB/s, 4489.2 MiB, DVD-RW sequential recording
Speed descr. : 2770 kB/s, 4489.2 MiB, DVD-RW sequential recording
Format status: unformatted, up to 4488.1 MiB
Format descr.: 00h  , 4488.1 MiB  (2297888s)
Format descr.: 10h  , 4488.1 MiB  (2297888s)
Format descr.: 15h  , 4488.1 MiB  (2297888s)
SORRY: Cannot obtain Table Of Content