Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Hi  Jörg,

Again, thanks for your reply!

On Monday 02 April 2007 16:43, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Kish Shen <kish.shen@crosscoreop.com> wrote:
> >  mkisofs â??-R â??-q â??-printâ??size /master/tree
>
> Why do you belkieve there is a -q option?
>
> mkisofs did never have a -q option.

This was on the man page I looked at, I copied the above example line from it. Here is some
context for the line:

       To  handle  drives  that  need to know the size of a track
       before starting to write, first run

           mkisofs  -R -q -print‐size /master/tree

       and then run

           mkisofs -R /master/tree  |  cdrecord  speed=2  dev=2,0
       tsize=XXXs ?

This is from the file cdrecord.man in the doc directory, which I read using nroff -man. I
downloaded this file yesterday, I think it is version 2.01.01a24.

> > The size for 's' (sector?) seems to be 2048 bytes, and when I hand calculated the sector sizes
> > for the 7 other files I have in the directory (which were all smaller than 4GB and
> > so were not ignored), rounding up each file's sector size to the next integer, I got a sector
> > count of 745189, which is a little less than what mkisofs gives me (745364 with -R, or 745370
> > with -R -J). Am I missing something?
>
> I believe that no.
>
> > I calculated the sector size for each file by using the size from ls -l, and divide this by 2048,
> > and rounding it up to the next integer.
> >
> > Will the written data be shown as files, even for the file that is > 4GB? I just want to save
> > it as data, and not as a video file that conforms to some standard...
>
> I do not understand you.
>
> mkisofs will just skip the files >= 4GB and put the rest into the ISO-9660
> filesystem.

Sorry, I meant when I use cdrecord to try to write the files in the directory. From what you
said before, I thought this would write the file >= 4GB to the Double Layer disk:

>If you have problems with double layer disks, better use the cdrecord that
>comes with cdrtools-2.01.01a24. Note that you need to call cdrecord as root
>or install it suid root.

Have I misunderstood? I thought the above was saying I could write files >4GB (my problem)
to Double Layer disks with cdrecord.

> Run cdrecord -scanbus to find the needed dev= parameter in this case.

Thanks!

> Jörg

Cheers,

Kish