Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Hi,

Kish Shen:
> Anyway, it [mkisofs] again said my file is too large and ignored it.

Even if you can talk some mkisofs into formatting a
file system with a file >= 2 GB, even then you might
have difficulties to read that file on arbitrary
computer systems.

You'll have to split your file or use a large-file capable
archiver rather than mkisofs.
To my experience Joerg's program "star" is well suited.

If it is about a single file, you may also write it
on media flatly and memorize the size (i.e. write it
on the media's upside with a pen).
To write:
  growisofs -Z /dev/sr1=/my/fat/file
To get it back:
  dd if=/dev/dvd bs=2048 count=... of=/my/copy/on/disk
with count=... giving the memorized number of blocks.

Joerg Schilling:
> There is nothing like "speudo SCSI" CD/DVD writers only work with SCSI
> commands.

That is true of course.
The command set is always SCSI as described in sub specs
SPC, SBC, MMC.

I meant :
Appearing under Linux as /dev/sg and /dev/sr and not as /dev/hd.
Pseudo-Linux-SCSI. Ok ?

me:
> > Programs growisofs or cdrskin are to prefer for that.
Joerg Schilling:
> The preferred program still is cdrecord.

But not for piping onto DVD and not for multi-session on DVD.

Joerg, i do not want to diminish your merits about burning.
Nevertheless, currently cdrecord imposes too much restrictions
which cannot be justified on the level of MMC-5 specs.

growisofs proves it since years, i proved it this year:
With single layer media no predicted size of the logical track
is needed except for DVD-RW treated by e.g. cdrecord blank=fast.
But cdrecord blank=all yields fully capable DVD-RW.

One can justify the SCSI gestures of growisofs by the MMC-5
specs. I looked at what Andy Polyakov's program does, then i
learned in the specs what this means and then i did my own
implementation of those specs (not of growisofs code).
It works on various DVD drives in the age of 3 to 0 years.
It is written down in
  http://libburnia.pykix.org/browser/libburn/trunk/doc/cookbook.txt?format=raw
paragraphs
- Overwriteable DVD Cookbook (DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, DVD-RW)
- Sequential DVD-R[W] Cookbook
- DVD+R Cookbook (still emerging)
with lots of references into the SCSI specs.

Be invited to read it and to point me to any errors.

> For double layer media, you _need_ to know the size in advance in
> order to be able to set the layer break at the right place.
> If you do not know this, please do not give advise....

Well, i did not burn double layers yet, nor did i find anybody
who is willing to try it. Kish Shen wants to use DVD+R/DL.
Maybe he got one left to waste for the progress of science.

Actually i advise to use growisofs for production purposes
with DVD+R/DL.
Default cdrskin refuses to risk those expensive media.

Anybody who is ready to risk a DVD+R/DL or DVD-R/DL media is
hereby called up to pipe the output of some formatter
(e.g. afio, star, ...) into the stdin of growisofs.
More than 4.7e9 bytes, of course. Do not use ISO-9660 format
because growisofs will recognize its size from the data.

Then let's see wether it works. I bet on Yes. :))