Re: create new session but NOT import old session: is it possible for DVD-R

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

Hello. For a CDR I can do it this way to create a new session without
importing old session:

$ mkisofs -C xxx,xxx root-folder/ | cdrecord -multi -data dev=/dev/cdr -

The trick is to create iso image using -C but NOT use -M.

Now with growisofs this seems impossible because in order to create a
new session on DVD-R with exesting sessions '-M' must be used.

There's a "-use-the-farce-luke=skip" option, but it appears to skip data in the input stream. Starwars is 20 years old, it's been about that long since that option was funny...

If you create an iso using the appropriate -C option, and cdrecord -msinfo will give you that, you can say
    growisofs -M /dev/dvd=my_2nd_created.iso
whereby you will be told your -C option is insane. I started to track the code, but haven't decided if (a) it insists on a value, or (b) the check is wrong, or (c) it just can't find the -C info in the ISO image. Since the standard is old, perhaps the -C just can't cope with values of 3GB, which is what I used for test.
You would need to wait until cdrecord supports multisession for DVD
which is expected to happen soon.....

But why do you like to do this anyway?

Not to necessarily use fewer CDs for cost, or to have unrelated things on a single CD, but to avoid hauling around many little CDs with only a hundred MB on each. I don't see this as a solution to a common problem, but as a technique which may be somewhat useful once in a while. By creating multiple totally independent ISO images on a single CD, it is possible to mount whichever is the "right one" by use of the "session=N" mount option. So I could have three different versions of an application, library, whatever, on a single CD.

Let me verify, this can be done on a CD with cdrecord, although I think you need a 2.6 Linux kernel to make it useful. My most recent 2.4 kernel didn't do the sessions=N option quite right.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc