Re: No supported write modes with LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

(On 3rd, 4th try:
 My previous messages seem not to have reached
the list. On 2nd try:
 I sent this message to list and poster a few
 hours before but it did not show up on the list.)

Joe MacDonald:
I've seen a couple of discussions about similar problems to mine with
different models (the H30N seemed to be a hot topic about six weeks ago)
but I haven't seen any suggestions that make things work (or at least
point to a cause of the failure) for me.

There was one incident of a remedy:
The user exchanged the SATA controller which connected
the drive with the computer.

Supported modes:
cdrecord: Drive does not support SAO recording.

In previous cases this has turned out to be the
result of failed attempts to set various write
modes.
The immediate error was with MMC command MODE SELECT
which returned an error condition saying that the
sent mode page 05h had the wrong length.

It has been tested with both lengths which are
described in the MMC-5 specs. No success.

I have seen this. Would it be reasonable to put debug in the kernel for this reproducible case, such that it's easier to track what the kernel is telling the controller?
Then the user bought the new controller.

- I bought this drive back in the spring.  It appears to work fine in
WinXP with Nero 7.something or other.

This is the really embarrassing part of those
error reports: The Windowers know a way to make
that combination of drive and controller work.
We don't - yet.

It might be that it is a bug with Linux and
certain SATA controllers.
But that would be a really smart bug. It disguises
very successfully as a bug of the drive.

Questions:

- Can you find out the type of that SATA controller ?
- Would it work with growisofs and DVD-R or unformatted
  DVD-RW ?
  (For these media the drive gets sent a mode page 05h,
   like with CD-R, CD-RW.)

- Are you willing to do experiments with program cdrskin ?
  I suppose them to be harmless, but they will at least
  cost some time and in worst case a reboot - if we manage
  to get the drive stuck by innovative combinations of
  MMC commands.
(My next plan would be to fetch a mode page 05h and to see how long the reply is. It would need to do
   some programming in the underlying libburn before we
   can start.)

Have a nice day :)

Thanks for being willing to help track this, it really would be nice to understand it. I'm guessing it's not in the driver itself but in the command filter, simply because this behavior has been seen in various hardware.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>