Re: cdrom burning problems

Hi,

> the problem is in writing.
> Trying to mount the very same blank disk creates a following error message:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>       missing codepage or other error
>       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use

You seem to expect read-write access to
the mounted media.

This is not necessarily the topic on this list.
Have an overview of what i know:

Before mounting there comes filesystem making.
Before filesystem making there comes media
formatting.
You need some support from the operating system
and with several of the CD/DVD media you can
hardly do it at all.

Linux media formatting aspects:

DVD-RAM should work out of the box that way
beginning with Linux 2.4.
DVD+RW should work with Linux 2.6.
DVD-RW can be formatted and should then work
with Linux 2.6 too.
CD-RW would need something like udftools.
I see fewer chance with CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R

Next comes the question of a filesystem:

Only DVD-RAM are really designed to serve as
removable hard disk.
CD-RW and DVD+RW can be equipped with bad spot
management so that they can stand the wear pattern
of a disk file system for a while. ("Mt. Rainier")

All other media need a specialized filesystem
which does not re-use a media sector too often.
There are two of them established:
ISO 9660 which is difficult to use for adding
and deleting individual files.
UDF which was designed to perform a better
emulation of disk storage activities.
(Google for "udftools". Have a look at Wikipedia)

At this point my knowledge about random access
read-write burning ends.

Now for what _i_ do when i want to burn a CD or DVD:

I produce a filesystem image from input files and
then burn it to media in a single sweep. For this
i can use burn programs like cdrecord, growisofs,
wodim, or my own: cdrskin.

The filesystems usually get produced by programs
like mkisofs, genisoimage. They may as well be
tape archives produced by programs afio or star.
The latter will not be mountable of course but
can be read like tapes from /dev/cdrom.

ISO 9660 allows to extend existing filesystem
images by further sessions, i.e. quite large chunks
of new files and a newly composed directory tree.
That's called multi-session.
Media need to support it or program needs to be smart.

There are frontends like program k3b which
coordinate converters, image producers and burn
programs under a single click interface.

Command line:
For easy DVD burning try growisofs.

If you need examples of commands then please
describe your use case in more detail.
Do you want to make a backup ? Do you want to
use the media as removable hard disk ?
Shall it become a multi-media disc (music CD,
video DVD, ...) ?
Do you plan more than one burn session with
the same media without erasing it inbetween ?