Re: Burning video DVD+R

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Rob Bogus:
However, I used -dvd-compat, not -dvd-video, if you think that has any chance of helping I'll try that.

I understand -dvd-video is an option of mkisofs which
growisofs does forward. It also triggers growisofs option
-dvd-compat for the burner part of growisofs.

Yes, it would seem that the problem lies in some part of my burning options, or perhaps I just have several picky DVD players. Since I don't use mkisofs it doesn't matter what options I could pass it.
So it would make no difference to -dvd-compat if you
burned an already formatted image. Like:
  growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=my_image_file

But if you let growisofs do the mkisofs run growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 my_video_files ...
then -dvd-video should yield a different image to be
burned on the fly. (See man mkisofs, -dvd-video)

Nevertheless if DVD-R work well by the same
image formatting, i would not expect that a
mkisofs option brings the decisive progress.
(On the other hand: the devil is a squirrel)

To be honest, my effort to use DVD+R is purely to speed the process, and the VCD effort just because I looked hard to find the software, and I tend to hang on to a problem until I understand it. But since my DVD playing software doesn't like DVD+R, I do think I'm doing something wrong.
Given yesterday's correction by Andy i re-read
  http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

Possibly you should read the paragraphs around
  "dvd+rw-booktype -dvd-rom -unit+r /dev/scdN"
for another experiment proposal.

Thank you, there may be wisdom there, or at least more to try.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>