Re: Burning video DVD+R

Hi,

> While DVD+R burn without error message, they don't
> work in most readers.

You used growisofs, i assume. Afaik it does not close
DVD+R even if option -dvd-compat or -dvd-video is given.
Seems Andy Polyakov had some bad feedback about closed
DVD+R. I don't know which, yet.

There is code to fill up a DVD+R with zeros instead.
>From growisofs.c:
 * - 'growisofs -M /dev/cdrom=/dev/zero', this is basically a counter-
 *   intuitive kludge assigned to fill up multi-session write-once
 *   media for better compatibility with DVD-ROM/-Video units, to keep
 *   it mountable [in the burner unit] volume descriptors from previous
 *   session are copied to the new session;

I understand this can be done with your already burned
not-so-well working DVD+R media.

If you got some blank media left it may be worth a try
to use cdrskin without option -multi. This will close
the media after burning.

> Since you mention VCD, what is the correct burning magic for cdrskin?

Currently none, i fear. This exotic CD stuff is described
in proprietary books owned by Philips. MMC standard tells
something about how to control it, but not for what purpose
which control has to be applied.
The rumors found in the web contradict each other and also
do not 100 % match what i read from MMC. (E.g mode names
and their alleged sector sizes.)

If somebody could prescribe me in the terms of MMC what
to do with the one or more source files of a VCD then
i would implement this in libburn.
The other path to wisdom would be a VCD player which is
capable of playing CD-RW, a few VCD media examples for
getting an impression of the disc structure, and then
to iterate over the finite list of possibilities offered
by MMC.
If it plays then it is right - for that particular player.