Re: Linux problems

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

There is a potential problem with your idea about doing something in open().
Open() is a C library call, not a kernel API call.

Oh, not for general open(). But for the code of
the hd , sg , and sr drivers which they perform
on open(). The same code that is able to spoil
our burns. To my experience an open("/dev/sr0", O_RDONLY);
already sends SCSI commands which can do harm.

Some instance in Linux must trigger those specific
commands on the generic gesture open(). For now i
am reluctant to dive into this architecture.
Exactly one year ago i got dragged into the lower
levels of burning and i still understand only half
of what a CD actually is. (E.g. video CD and mixed
mode and the colored books and and and)
I don't want to open a new can of worms before i
am done with the old one. :))

Since you mention VCD, what is the correct burning magic for cdrskin? I've created images with vcdimager, but they are cuefile+bin, which is not supported. Is there a software which produces a single burnable image?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc