Re: Linux problems

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Joerg Schilling:
If you still think about record locking, you are on the wrong way.

I think about locking the whole device, not a record.
And i do not think that any existing locking mechanism
in Linux is able to perform this.

Yes, that would work if you could do it. But you can't have multiple independent paths to the device. This can be solved by providing a device lock which works for any path, or not allowing multiple paths.

I'm not sure Solaris handles this, either. If you used mknode to create multiple inodes for the same major/minor device, I wonder if you would get the same problems. It may be case that Solaris applications just don't create the problme than the o/s solving it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc