Re: Linux problems

Hi,

Seth Kurtzberg:
> If you are willing to tolerate deadlock, a simple kernel patch suffices.
> Such a solution is, surely, ugly, but may be a better alternative than no
> solution at all.

By deadlock you mean that both contestants are denied
access ? Not that anything gets stuck if it wants
non-blocking i/o, i hope.

Such a solution would indeed be an improvement.

But is it beautiful enough to replace the current
behavior in the main stream kernels ?
I.e. can we convince the decisive people to accept
it ?

It would not help much if we had to prescribe
kernel patching before proper burning of CD and
DVD is possible. I myself would frown on that
and rather do what has to be done to make my
/dev/s[gr][0-9]* safe. No automats groping my drives.
Basta.

But the goal of cdrskin is to be installable on
any modern Linux distro. So i can neither demand
people to calm down their autmats nor can i demand
them to create custom kernels.

Nevertheless and anyway:
What does this patch do ?
Is it explainable to userland programmers ?