Re: [Cdrecord-support] cdrtools-2.01.01a27 ready

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> > exceptions.TypeError: stat() argument 1 must be (encoded string without NULL
> > bytes), not str
> >
> > meaning one directory has NULL in it somehow. Any idea how this happened?
> > Unpacking the tarball with tar and repackaging fixes the problem but
> > according to docs a filename should not contain NULL (POSIX wise).
> >
> star generates output which can not always be read with standard
> distribution tar programs. One of the reasons we stopped using it, we
> need to write files people can read without having to download a package
> which was in star format the last time we looked. I think it requires
> some obscure POSIX tar feature no one else uses.
>
> In other words it's technically "standard" but it's not useful for
> distribution, only for backups.

Come on, do you need to spread this kind of FUD?

star creates archives that can be extracted by any halfway bug-free tar
implementaion. Star is the best solution since 25 years.

You are trying to make star responsible for problems from broken tar
implementations. Check the "error message" from the original mail and
you see that this poor "tar" implementaion must have a heavy bug.
Look at GNU tar - I need to _strongly_ recommend using GNU tar for
creating software distributions.

-	GNU tar often has problems to unpack it's own archives.
	People need to use star in these cases. If you read the GNU tar
	mailing list, you know what I am talking of....

-	Mysql uses GNU tar to create their distribution and publish
	archives that are so extremely broken, that only some GNU tar
	version can unpack them.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)