Re: problems with Plextor PX-708A

Hello Rob,

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 07:34:14PM -0400, Rob Bogus wrote:
> >I have compatibility and performance problems with my Plextor PX-708A
> >1.12. As I understand
> >http://www.plextor.be/products/px-708a.asp?choice=PX-708A , the drive
> >should:
> >* write DVD-R at 4x,
> >* read DVD-R at least at 4x,
> >* write DVD+RW at 4x,
> >* read DVD+RW at least at 4x.
> >
> Note that those number are the top speed at the fast outer portion of
> the media, not some guarantee or average over an entire burn.

Hmm, can anyone share the top speed from the spec and the respective
average speed for burning the whole disc? What could I expect w.r.t.
burning DVD+RW at 8x (min / max)?

I could understand writing at the average of 2.4x with 4x requested, but
reading with 1.3x or 3x is certainly below my most humble expectations.

> And the
> burn speeds are generally limited to how well the BIOS likes the media.
> Jöerg Schilling once gave me a link to a BIOS which made my original 1x
> SCSI burner run at 2x, so many factors come into play.
>
> I am guessing that your BIOS doesn't like that media.

Unfortunately, plextor.be doesn't list compatible media for PX-708A,
only for PX-708A2 (don't know how different they are). But even then,
it's difficult to buy the right media since you see the media id only
after buying. In my previous life I had similar problems with CD
burners, and LG was much less picky about the media than Plextor, thus
my question about GSA-H12N.

With kind regards,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov