Re: Samsung SH-S183A SATA on VIA VT6420 controller

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 04:54:15PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> First an important question: how did you connect that drive?

It's a SATA drive. See my first mail for details. It's connected
to my onboard VIA VT6420 SATA controller. It has 2 ports which
can also be used for harddisk raid.

> Could you please run (in a typescript):
>
> cdrecord -v -V some_file
>
> and send the last ~ 100 lines of messages?

http://www.metamorpher.de/files/cdrecord.typescript.txt

The file seems to include some noise, since there is also a SCSI DVD drive
(real SCSI, not SATA, very old drive).

> Linux sometimes bastardizes the SCSI command content for SCSI
> commands send over ATAPI. Did you try to use the drive (on the same
> machine) running Solaris? I know of several cases where other OS
> have no problems but Linux has.

I'd love to try, but I have no clue about Solaris. Installing it
on this machine will probably not be easy with the current harddisk /
partition layout. Is there a Live CD with SATA support and cdrecord?

Thanks again for your input. :-)

Regards
Andreas Klauer