Re: Samsung DVD writer.

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

If you like to see an error message that is meaningful, get a
recent cdrtools

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

and call cdrecord -prcap and cdrecord -minfo as root or install
cdrecord as root.

Haven't you fixed the problem of requiring root YET?!! I don't expect
you to fix it on Linux, but I would have thought BSD would work.

I cannot "fix" this as this is a Linux kernel requirement.

Hogwash. growisofs works without root, therefore you either choose to
claim it is a Linux problem, or you don't understand how to fix it.

Do you like a decent discussion or do you like to be one of the uninformed
people who participate in the braindead FUD against cdrtools?

If you have no clue on the background, you should listen to people like me who
know what they are talking about.... You are listening to the wrong people.

You said it didn't work right unless run as root. You said it, you quoted yourself, you advised to run as root. See above.

Now if I'm listening to the wrong people, they are you.

Moreover, the hacked version of cdrecord which comes with Fedora works
without root, although it's a bit old.

Read the text of my last mail and try to understand _why_ _some_ people might
believe that cdrecord is able to work under _some_ _conditions_.

I am not sure about what limited services growisofs provides. I did see enough
logs from cdrecord that verify the fact that Linux does not allow cdrecord to
work correctly under all conditions. This is because Linux does not allow all
the SCSI commands cdrecord needs for it's work unless cdrecord runs with root
privileges.

The "limited services" include burning optical media, something cdrecord won't do on Linux. And as for "all the SCSI commands cdrecord needs," why does it need more than other burning software? If you can't run realtime priority (no other software needs that), or lock the unit, or sprinkle the media with holy water, NO ONE ELSE NEEDS TO DO THAT! You have let the desire for trivial unnecessary flourishes blind you to the fact that people run the software to burn optical media.

If you feel you want to whine about no being able to these things, add text to your meaningless warnings, or better yet check for a ".stopwhining" file in the home directory and don't bother to list all the largely unnecessary things you can't do.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>