Re: Need help

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 01:41:21PM -0800, Shim, JaiX K wrote:

I tried "cdrecord -scanbus". But I got the following error message.

"cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver."

Sounds like you run Linux 2.6.

If you want any help, you're going to have to tell us a lot more detail --
which version of cdrecord, which operating system, etc.  (Although if
your platform is Linux 2.6, all the help you'll get is "don't try to run
cdrecord -scanbus on Linux 2.6", or possibly "we've attempted a workaround
for Linux 2.6 in cdrecord version xx.yy.zz, and you can try that".)

This is wrong!

cdrecord works without real problems on Linux-2.6 if you install it correctly
suid root.

Unfortunately "run everything as root" is not going to happen on many systems, some years ago capabilities were added to Linux, and those are the proper way to do access rather than bypassing all security checks. Also, the last time I looked the notes you provided only worked if security was disabled, selinux won't let you do what you were suggesting.

That was some time ago, I did put "get current docs" on my todo list, probably won't happen until tomorrow.
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/problems.html

Some old versions do not but this is caused by non-cooperative acting
from the Linux Kernel maintainers: they did introduce a severe incompatible
interface change after cdrtools had been put into a code freeze state
for releasing.
Caused by fixing a serious security issue... Once the first exploit was out it did have to be done quickly, and it did impact applications (not just yours). It came at a bad time in your code cycle, but making it sound as if the change was made just because they felt like it is simply not true. Allowing any SCSI command to go to devices was a hole allowing the bad guys to wipe out firmware on hard drives as well as burners, and had to be stopped immediately.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc