readcd: Data recovery from unfinalised DVD-R

I have found that by using the "sectors=" option of readcd, and
experimenting with the start and end sector values, I can retrieve a
usable MPEG file from a 3-inch DVD camcorder disc that has not been
finalised.

Is there a more efficient way of using readcd to read valid sectors from
an unfinalised disc, avoiding this trial-and-error method? (This seems
to be a sought-after solution, judging from my Google search results.)

Philip J. Tait