Re: cdrecord-2.01.01a21 refuses work on Linux 2.4 if non-ide-scsi DVD-ROM is present

Hi,

> > Permission denied. Cannot open '/dev/sg1'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord is not installed suid root or you are not calling as root.

I swear. It only makes trouble after chmod u+s .

  -rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 391843 2006-11-29 20:45
  /usr/bin/cdrecord-2.01.01a21-hz100

In that state it makes trouble with all users.
After chmod u-s it is usable for user root:

  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 391843 2006-11-29 20:45
  /usr/bin/cdrecord-2.01.01a21-hz100

Same with the system's The-author-of-cdrecord-should-
not-be-bothered "cdrecord" binary.

> Do you believe that this is a Suse 9.3 specific bug
> in the Linux kernel?

I wouldn't blame it on a particular component or layer,
but yes: it is weird enough to be a very specific bug.
I don't believe it is intentional ... and i am quite
sure to have heard of SuSE 9.3 systems where cdrecord did
work for normal users (i.e. setuid root).

My hardware is elderly and a bit flaky on startup.
I did set up the system for test purposes on my previous
computer. Everything else about CDs seems to work fine,
though. For a hardware problem, it seems much too specific.
It seems not to be bound to recent cdrecord development.
The system includes a Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-suse-linux)
Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling with the same
problem:
  /usr/bin/cdrecord-suse-9.3: No such file or directory.
  Cannot open SCSI driver.

Let's count it as single individual problem unless somebody
else shows up with the same. I'm ready to do tests on request.

There must be some software trigger. Is there something
wrong with the mount options ?
  /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)