Re: Snoop DVD (MMC/ATAPI/SCSI) requests

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > Hi. I'm running Windows as a Guest OS in VMware on Linux. In Windows, a
> > closed source application communicates with my DVD writer using VMwares
> > virtual DVD, connected to /dev/hdc, which is my DVD writer.
> >
> > Now, I'd like to monitor all communication with my DVD. I found out about
> > blktrace and it looked very promising. However, I've now discovered that
> > blktrace cannot display all data, for example Inquiry Data. This is also
> > pointed out by http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/8/23/70:
> >
> > "the cdb is dumped, not the data"
> >
> > So, are there any other tools that I can use to snoop the DVD
> > communication? I've tried strace without luck.
>
> How much data do you need to dump? If it's just inquiry data and small
> things like that, I'd just snoop the data in the kernel with some debug
> patch and dump it with printk(). Otherwise it would not be hard to add
> data dump to blktrace as well.

I need all data required to repeat the SCSI communication patterns, and
hopefully figure out what's going on. At this point, I would prefer a
solution that doesn't require kernel hacking.

Since my mail, I've figured out that Wireshark has a very nice iSCSI
dissector. If possible, I'd like to use it. All my real iSCSI attempts
have failed (IET lacks DVD support and VMware cannot work on top of Linux
iSCSI DVD devices), so my current plan is to write a program that
translates usbfs_snoop output into Wireshark capture files with "faked"
iSCSI calls.

Regards,
--
/Peter ???strand <astrand@lysator.liu.se>