Re: Some intermediate thanks to Joerg Schilling

Hi,

> > I would need to look for my Suse-9.x HDD again....
> Don't bother. SUSE 9.0 has been discontinued ages ago.

But *i* am not discontinued ! :))

Pun aside:

My computer is two years old and scheduled for another two.
Lots of others out here are in similar stages of their life.

If i want to give the users of scdbackup free choice of
burner programs then i need a place where to i can point
them for cdrecord.
The more simple, the better.

A fixed URL of the currently advised source tarball would
be very helpful for that. Then scdbackup's README can point to
it permanently.
Like:
"
Get current cdrtools sources from
  ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/advised/cdrtools.tar.gz
Unpack, go into toplevel directory "cdrtools-...", execute "make".
"

Best would be a tarball with binaries of cdrecord and mkisofs,
with their man-pages and with a README that points to the
URL of the sources. (Plus copyright, license, et al.)
Like:
"
Get current cdrtools Linux binaries from
  ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/minipacks/cdrtools-i686-linux_2_4.tar.gz
Unpack, put binaries and man pages at places of your discretion.
"

According to my experiments
  cdrecord-prodvd-2.01.01b03-i686-pc-linux-gnu
runs on SuSE 7.2 (2.4.4), on SuSE 9.0 (2.4.21) and on RIP 14.4
(2.6.14). I guess that others tested the same binary on other
outdated and on current distros.
A pack of such binaries from the current sources would be convenient.
(I do not know how Joerg does it. They are not gcc -static.)

Since we have that strange competitive situation now, we
should simply let our users make the choice.

scdbackup-Thomas will point to all three CD burner programs.
cdrskin-Thomas will have a static x86-binary ready for those
who want to quick-try cdrskin.
cdrkit-people (who happen to maintain cdrskin on Debian) will
hopefully allow a download that is similarly easy to describe.
Eventually they can rely on their distribution power and wodim
will appear automatically on newly installed machines soon.

For scdbackup project, the current situation is a great improvement
over the situation a year ago. I only regret that it is combined
with so much dirt flying around in user discussion forums.
That's why i started this thread here.