Re: Repeatability of mkisofs?

> One can be certain and be wrong.
>
> So it does record some command line arguments.

One can be both. mkisofs used to record the command line it was invoked
with in the iso image, but this was seen as a privacy issue, and changed
about 2 years ago.

I always record md5sums for each individual file on the CD/DVD itself;
this helps a lot to pinpoint any problems to particular files. I also
keep checksums of the complete iso image, these are faster to verify and
check the whole filesystem, including the metadata and any unused blocks
which are nevertheless part of the filesystem.

Because the filesystem's creation date is recorded in the iso image, any
such image accidentally deleted is non-recoverable and its corresponding
checksums worthless. Act wisely :) Of course if such an image was
previously burnt, it can be recovered from the burnt disk. I have
scripts for all the above tasks.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.