Re: How to tell if mounted media is CD-R, CD-RW or CD-ROM?

Hi,

> While going through the changelog of the shell script we're using I
> found a note of one of my colleagues which said that in the past (when
> we used plain IDE CD_RW drives) we got this problem occasionally. I
> thought it was a fluke and promptly changed it back to be strict (the
> shell script had been modified to "suppose" it to be a CD-RW if no
> "erasable" script was found ) and got burned the next day with an  LG
> GSA-2164D (USB DVD writer)  with a CD-RW inside.

Strange. You don't torture your media in a peculiar way,
i suppose.

> Note the "Linux bus mapping botch message"
> ./cdrecord-prodvd-2.01.01: Warning Linux Bus mapping botch.

Qu'est-ce que c'est "botch" ? Aha. "Pfusch", "Stuemperei".
Looks like Joerg is not amused by some bug-or-feature of
your Linux.

> ./cdrecord-prodvd-2.01.01: Input/output error. read buffer: scsi sendcmd: no err
> or
> CDB:  3C 00 00 00 00 00 00 FC 00 00
> status: 0x0 (GOOD STATUS)
> cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 40s

The self-contradicting message texts indicate that cdrecord
is faced with failures which are not accompanied by some
recognizable error codes.
Wether this is related to the "botch" remains open.

Is this behavior bound to a certain kernel version ?
Can you afford to boot some rescue Linux or Life-CD
with a different kernel to see wether this behavior
persists ?
(For a x86 PC you could use
  http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip
which already contains a cdrecord.)

> I can burn the CD-RW succesfully with cdrecord.

This could mean that only the -atip related activities
of cdrecord are in trouble on your system.