cdrecord fails on usb connected CD-R with FC4

Short and sweet, internal ATAPI drives work fine with FC4 and both the FC4 hacked cdrecord and the standard built from source. Same hardware worked on earlier distributions, had to reinstall for other reasons, was using a 2.6.15.1 kernel.

I'm 99% sure this is a distribution rather than kernal issue, auto mounting, playing, etc, have all be tured off. When a blank CD is put in the drive a "blank CD-R" icon comes up, even though I've tried to disable caring. Since the ATAPI drives work and lsof shows no process accessing the hardware, I'm at a loss what is causing this.

Tried several FC4 kernels and teh 2.6.15.1 I was running before, same behaviour.

Thoughts welcome.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc