Re: using cdrecord as backend.

Jörgen Lindroos wrote:

I am going to build a cd-copier out of an old pc. You put two cd's, one to copy from and one to copy to, and then just press start. For this I was thinking to use Linux and cdrecord. Would that be possible? And how do I get started with writing a backend for this.

I would also want to show the procentual progress on a lcd.

What are your thoughts about this?

Regards
/J Lindroos

My first thought is that you may be unaware of all the possible formats of CDs, and the issues involved in identifying them, reading the content of some formats accurately (ie. two reads give the same result), and setting the modes needed to create a copy.

If you want to copy audio and ISO9660 data it's possible, for some other formats such as games, which mix audio and/or video with data, I'm not sure you appreciate how hard it is to even identify the initial format. I'm not sure if cdrecord supports all possible formats, I'm sure not all CD burners do, and based on a sample size of six, DVD burners are even less concerned with the obscure and seldom-used variations.

Read the cdrecord man page for possible formats, look at all the "-rawXXX" descriptions. A commercial quality CD duplicator is more complex than it sounds. On the other hand if you only need to do a few common formats, it's practical with decent hardware for reader and burner.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc