Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:

> > This is most likely caused by OPC problems in your writer.
> > Try cdrecord -force blank=full
>
> Hm ... i tried much, but i never tried -force.
>
> blank=full ? My  Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01b31  does not
> know "full". It's about time i try the new 2.01.01b03 ...
> ... nope ... no blank=full ...
> Let me try it with "all" :
>
>   $ /usr/bin/cdrecord-prodvd.sh dev=0,0,0 -force blank=all
>   Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01b03 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2006 Jörg Schilling
>   Unlocked features: ProDVD Clone
>   Limited  features:
>   This copy of cdrecord is licensed for: private/research/educational_non-commercial_use
>   scsidev: '0,0,0'
>   scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
>   Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
>   Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
>   Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
>   Version        : 0
>   Response Format: 2
>   Capabilities   :
>   Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
>   Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-4082B'
>   Revision       : 'A201'

I am not sure about the firmware/laser pule former quality of this
Hitachi Goldstar drive. I recommend to repeat this test with
a drive from Pioneer, Plextor or NEC

>   Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
>   Using generic SCSI-3/mmc-2 DVD-R/DVD-RW driver (mmc_dvd).
>   Driver flags   : DVD MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
>   Supported modes: PACKET SAO  WARNING: Phys disk size 65264 differs from rzone size 0! Prerecorded disk?
>   WARNING: Phys start: 196608 Phys end 261871
>   Waiting for drive to calm down.
>   Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in real force BLANK mode for single session.
>   Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
>   cdrecord-ProDVD: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi sendcmd: no error
>   CDB:  A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>   status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>   Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 10 32 4D 03 0D 0C 00 00 00
>   Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
>   Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x00 (write error) Fru 0x0
>   Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
>   cmd finished after 6.591s timeout 9600s
>   Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in real force BLANK mode for single session.
>   No chance to quit anymore. Operation starts.
>
> 30 minutes later it is finished without further message.
> The burn attempt via cdrecord-ProDVD fails, nevertheless:

SO the drive did show no problems for the second blank=full operation

> At least with this burner, no blanking or formatting treatment
> via cdrecord-ProDVD or growisofs did ever help after the
> media went bad.

See above.

> I -force blanked another media by cdrecord-ProDVD and could
> dvd+rw-format it to Restricted Overwrite afterwards.
> Nevertheless, growisofs aborted on OPC:
>   :-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error

If you use a program with user unfriendly output, please look up the error code
and expand to text.

> > I cannot recommend DVD+RW because the interchange compatibility
> > is too low.
> [from the reply to Volker]:
> > And BTW: the problems I did see with DVD+RW media while trying to read
> > the same test media (written on different drives) on different drives
> > clearly shows that DVD+RW compatibility is lousy. This is why I prefer DVD-RW.
> > DVD-RW did never cause real trouble.
>
> I am not aware of computer DVD-ROM drives which refuse
> to read successfully verified DVD+RW.
> You surely got more drives at hand than i, but within
> my own range of (mostly hearsay) experience there seems
> to be a tendency that +RW is more reliable.

The biggest difference between DVD- and DVD+ is that
all DVD- manufacturers are forced to pay for an independent test institute
that does frequent round robin tests. Any problem is flagged to the related
manufacturers of failing pairings.

This causes better alround readability in general.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)