Re: dvd+rw-tools update [6.0, DVD-R DL]

Hi,

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Guess why I recommend to use more than 128MB for the star FIFO
> in order to keep the tape streaming.
>
> With current I/O speed, you need current RAM sizes for buffering.

Googling for contemporary speeds ... HP ... 36 MB/s DLT ... 80 MB/s LTO
... well, i'd need a new computer first.

How come that the time granularity of the backup processing chain
does not get finer as the systems get faster ? Since our fifos
are mainly having an averaging effect, a finer granularity would
avoid the need to make them larger. But we clearly have to enlarge
them. We still have to prepare for a few realtime seconds of shortage.

There must be something negative growing with our faster systems.
More processes which impose disturbance ? Larger amounts of disk data
and therefore larger disturbances ?
Compression ratios staid more or less the same. 2:1 as rule of thumb.

For something else:
In
  http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/cdwrite/2006/01/msg00057.html
i ask wether the current behavior of cdrecord with padsize= and
multiple tracks will be uphold or wether it will be changed to
comply to the man page.
A short answer would be welcome.