-reply:<200612032013.kB3KD4Gh013777@burner.fokus.fraunhofer.de>

Hi Joerg,

cdrtools-2.01.01a22 on SuSE 9.0 :
- compiles out of the box (thanks a lot)
- does not show new 1000+ busses (as intended)
- works with my backup tool
  (at least on documented features)

cdrtools-2.01.01a22 on SuSE 9.3 :
- compiles out of the box (as did before)
- shows new 1000+ busses
- works with my backup tool
  (at least on documented features)

One problem remains which is due to the not
fixely standardized output of cdrecord -atip.
My backup tool is grep'ing for "^  Is erasable".
That output line has changed recently to match
"^Disk Is erasable".

It was no problem for me to include the necessary
test in scdbackup. Old installations which get newest
cdrecord will need a new scdbackup, too. That's life.

But: will this text layout persist ?

  ATIP info from disk:
    Indicated writing power: 3
    Reference speed: 6
  Disk Is not unrestricted
  Disk Is erasable
    Disk sub type: High speed Rewritable (CAV) media (1)
Is it intentional that those two lines are not indented
and that "Is" starts with a capital letter ?

The reason for scdbackup's interest in -atip output
is the wish to distinguish CD-R from CD-RW.
The more specific line which announces the current
profile
  Current: CD-RW
is not available with cdrecord-2.0, is not fully mature
in cdrecord-2.01 and also depends on option -v which
scdbackup users may disable.
So i would prefer to stay with "Is erasable" for general
compatibility. But with very specific grep expressions,
not just with "[Ii]s erasable" somewhere in some line.

Can you give me an outlook wether the line will stay that
way or wether you plan to beautify it within the next few
revisions ?

Strange observation on SuSE 9.0 with LG GSA-4082B drive
but not with NEC ND-4570A.
After cdrecord blanked a CD-RW it reports on the
following burn:
  Capacity  Blklen/Sparesz.  Type
         0             2048  No Media Present or Unknown Capacity
The burn went well, nevertheless.

NEC on SuSE 9.0 and LITE-ON LTR-48125S on SuSE 9.3 with 4x media
report:
  Capacity  Blklen/Sparesz.  Type
    276161             2048  Unformated or Blank Media
    276161               32  Reserved (0)
    258720                0  Reserved (0)
12x media report is similar with higher Capacity.