Re: cdrecord-2.01.01a21 refuses work on Linux 2.4 if non-ide-scsi DVD-ROM is present

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 01:00:35AM +0100, scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:
> > ./configure: line 19396: syntax error near unexpected token `in'
> > ./configure: line 19396: `for ac_header in'
>
> That looks much like an icculus.org/burn libburn-0.2 tarball
> or CVS version prior to about march 2006. (Newer bash versions
> accept an empty "for" list. I noticed that problem only on
> a SuSE 7.2 system. Meanwhile our ./configure is fat but legal.)

Is there a version of bash that *doesn't*?  My testing indicates that
the following command

  for x in $nothing_here; do echo "$x"; done

works just fine (does nothing, and produces no errors) in bash 1.14 (the
oldest I have available) and in HP-UX's /sbin/sh (the oldest traditional
Bourne shell I have available), as well as dash 0.5.2.  I couldn't find
any shell where it failed.

The syntax error quoted above probably indicates a problem earlier in the
script, which simply didn't show up until line 19396.