Re: [Cdrecord-support] cdrtools-2.01.01a21 ready

Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> writes:

> -	Trying to work around a Linux design problem that has been introduced
> 	about 3 years ago when Linux stopped to support an orthogonal SCSI
> 	Kernel transport for all SCSI devices.

This is nonsense.  Fact is that /dev/hd* ATAPI devices support the same
SG_IO passthrough as /dev/sg* SCSI devices. All barriers that make ATAPI
look different than SCSI are artificially created inside libscg, and if
you want numbers, the linux-kernel archive has sufficient information on
how to obtain them, as proven by the patch I sent to linux-kernel in
early 2006. (Which brought nothing but personal offenses, Jörg's
claiming - without proof, of course - my patch made matters worse.)

> Since then, ATAPI drives are handled different from other SCSI
> devices.

Gosh, they added /dev/hd* to the bill.
That's the end of the world =:->

> The problem is that the linux maintainers intentionally reduce the
> information that is available in the kernel and this way prevent to
> allow libscg to only show only unique drives.

You have a SINGLE handle to access the device as block or as character
device, for SG_IO and everything -- that's something /dev/sg* still
can't do, if you want cooked access, you're still guessing which
/dev/sr* might match your /dev/sg... ATAPI doesn't have that problem.

> 	libscg now tries to map ATAPI drives to SCSI bus numbers >=
> 	1000.

What a botch. Perhaps it's time that cdrecord learns to treat device
identifiers as opaque string, without second-guessing a numbering that
falls apart the moment hotplug comes into play.

> J\366rg

Still not fixed your mailer?

--
Matthias Andree