Re: Excluding paths with mkisofs

Greg Wooledge wrote:

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 08:56:56PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
I thought people should know the find(1) program...so it should be obvious to call

	mkisofs -o some-file -find . ! -path 'pattern'

You'd be amazed at how poorly understood find is.  I've been doing Unix
stuff for over 15 years now, and I still have to re-read the documentation
every time someone asks how to use find -prune.  (! -path will still
descend into every subdirectory, even the ones that will be thrown away;
-prune causes find to skip over subdirectories entirely, saving a lot
of time.  But it's hard to use because of awkward syntax and a lack of
useful examples in the man pages -- in particular, the GNU man pages.)

   find . -path 'pattern' -prune -o -print

Even if you understand it, -path appears to be rooted and hard to use... For instance, to avoid backing up application cache directories, you need to use

   -path '*/[Cc]ache/*'

to get what you want. Something more intuitive would be useful to mere mortals, thus my original suggestion.

The current implementation is an example of "if it was hard to write it should be hard to use."

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc