problem with dvd-rw on Plextor PX-704A

I've got a problem with burning dvd-rw on my Plextor PX-704A:

1- Both gnomebaker, and nautilus-cd-burner, can't blanking dvd-rw burned
by them. The same happens if I use the shell.
This is the output:

andrea@nenya:~$ dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/hdd
* DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 6.1.
:-( mounted media doesn't appear to be DVD±RW or DVD-RAM
andrea@nenya:~$

2- On the other hand, the dvd-rw can be recognized by linux, but not by
windows, which warn that there's no disc in the device.

3- Only if I use dvdrecord I can blank the dvd, but if I do it in fast
mode, gnomebaker gives me this error if I attempt a new burning:

:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/ASC=64h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error
:-( attempt to re-run with -dvd-compat -dvd-compat to engage DAO or
apply full blanking procedure
:-( write failed: Input/output error

With a full blanking instead I can manage to burn the dvd, but I go back
to point 1, so the problems restart.

Can you give me some advice?

Thak you very much

Andrea