Re: adding files in small increments

I'm currently in a project where we try to burn log-files from disk to dvd-r.
The goal is to rotate a log-file every 20 minutes and have it copied to
read-only media in order to make it hard for an evil person to tamper with the
file.

We currently use the following commands in order to burn the files:

initially, with a new media:
growisofs -input-charset=iso-8859-15 --speed=1 -Z <list of files> -R -J

and for appending more files:

growisofs -input-charset=iso-8859-15 --speed=1 -M <list of files> -R -J

The problem is that after a while, about 1,5 days, we can no longer append
files. As the files are quite small, much below 100MB totally, my guess is
that we are running out of sessions.

Well, there also is some space *wasted* between sessions. It would help if you send (or look yourself;-) dvd+rw-mediainfo for affected media. And while we're on it, you should also send error message from failing recording, otherwise all one can do is speculate...

However, someone suggested that we might
be able to use multiple tracks in each session. This would gain us 99 tracks *
the number of sessions, effectively increasing the period by a factor 100
before needing to switch media.

99 tracks is CD limiations. DVD-R allows for over 2000 recordings, but you might experience problems mounting it, as most OSes (and you should also tell what's yours!) ask for CD-ish table of contents and unit have to fabricate something which is not exactly like reality. Track recordings... H-m-m-m... You'll definitely have to be creating to mount them, which is why data commonly recorded in single track per session... A.