Re: Cdrtools-2.01.01a13 ready with libfind

Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:37:30AM -0400, misa@redhat.com wrote:
> > Yes, -uid is sorta global, so you will have all files owned by root. But then
> > again you won't be able to have two -find statements in one
> > invocation, while processing stdin is allowing you to enumerate files with
> > multiple find statements or anything else you can think of.
>
> I'm surprised Jörg didn't simply use \; in his -find syntax, so that you
> could put additional mkisofs arguments after the -find ... \; (including
> a second -find).

Mkisofs does not accept additional options after the (file) argument list
starts. It makes sense not to break this historical behavior.

For the other idea:

I believe it makes sense to create some kind of standard on how to integrate
libfind into programs. In order to discuss this, we should first look at the
benefits of libfind on the directory tree walker in previous mkisofs versions.
Mkisofs did not deal with long path names and arbitrary directory nesting
level. Mkisofs also may be fooled by hard links directories. These problems do
not exist with libfind and for this reason, libfind will replace the historical
treewalking implementation in mkisofs in the future.

Another important point is the fact that star offers libfind features since a
year. Other programs should use libfind in a similar way to star.

For star in extract mode, I was already thinking about something like:

star x -f somearchive -find <expression> -xfind <other-expression>

where the -find expression controls which files (and how) to extract and
where the -xfind expression runs after a file has been extracted and
would e.g. allow to use the -exec primary on the just extracted on-disk file.

I see nothing in mkisofs that could not be done with a single -find expression.
Do you have any idea?

BTW: for a documentation of libfind, see "man sfind", for a documentation of how
to use "mkisofs -find" look into the star man page as long as the entries in
man mkisofs are missing.

for a libfind online help, call mkisofs -find -help

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)