Re: DVD Double Layer Playing problem

Andy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  Most of what you say
makes the trouble I am having make sense.  But three things do not seem
to fit:

1) I can play the .iso that I made with dd just fine in Xine.  This
should be just as scrambled as the DVD I burn from it.

2) This procedure has worked to create a copy of a commercial single
layer DVD just fine.

3) running diff on the .iso and the (unplayable) mounted burnt DL DVD
reported no differences.

regards
brett

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 16:28 +0200, Andy Polyakov wrote:
> > I recently obtained a two DVD+-RW DL burners and decided to test them by
> > trying to burn a copy of Monster's Inc (which is a DVD we own that is a
> > DL disk)  They are the Plextor DVDR PX-750A  and the DVD-RW drive that
> > comes with the SONY VIAO VGN-SZ160P.
> >
> > I used
> >
> > dd if=/dev/dvd of=DVD.iso bs=2048
> >
> > to make the ISO, and
> >
> > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=DVD.iso
> >
> > to burn it.
> >
> > There were no reported errors at all during the burning process.
> >
> > I can mount the burned disks on the either of the Dl DVD+-RW drives that
> > did burning, but my oldest DVD drive (which is only a DVD-RW single
> > layer burner) thinks there is no media there (it can play commerical DL
> > DVDs just fine).
>
> It's probably deficiency of this recorder. Recorders [unlike pure ROM
> players] are expected to have closer look at media, closer than looking
> at Media Book Type that is. It probably smells recordable media, but
> it's too old to believe that it's double layer...
>
> >  I can play the ISO image with xine no problem and I
> > have used "diff" to verify that
> >
> > 1) The ISO and the burned DVDs movie are the same
> >
> > But I cannot play the burned DVDs as video anywhere, including the
> > drives that burned it one (with either windows or linux)  On windows or
> > a commercial stand-alone DVD player I get a frozen scene from one of the
> > previews with a stuttering text that loops after a few minutes.  With
> > either xine or totem it reports that this DVD is encrypted and
> > recommends that I install libdvdcss.  I have libdvdccs installed and it
> > is what I use to watch most commercial DVDs that I watch.
>
> Content protection is two-fold. First you have to authenticate yourself
> to unit so that it gives up protected sectors, and then you have to
> descramble the content. When you ran dd you probably were authenticated
> [you probably ran xine prior dd], but dd doesn't do any descrambling and
> therefore you've copied scrambled content. When you burn it to
> recordable media it turns unplayable [you're likely to hear audio
> though], because you didn't copy the descrambling keys, nor marked
> protected sectors as scrambled. But before you ask how do you do the
> latter two, keep in mind that you *can't*. Consumer recordables provide
> *no* way to copy or setup own descrambling keys and therefore the only
> way is to descramble content prior recording. How is another question
> [which I don't feel capable to answer].
>
> > It seems clear that in terms of data and filesystems,
>
> I'd challenge the "terms of data" part. The fact that you can mount it
> is not mystery, because not everything is scrambled. Most notably
> sectors describing/defining file system layout are not, which is why
> it's never a problem to mount protected media and list files on it. Not
> even whole video content is scrambled, most notably menus are commonly
> not, so you can always "navigate"... A.

"Choosing a basis for a vector space is an act of violence"
--unkown University of Chicago professor circa 1989
(If you know who said this please let me know)

Brett Stevens
School of Mathematics and Statistics
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Dr.