Re: burning iso-image to DVD-R failed

I can write iso-images to DVD-RW, DVD+RW even Double-Layer DVD+R with k3b with out any problems.
But trying to burn an image, which I can burn to DVD-/+RW medias, to a DVD-R fails with the message below after about 40 seconds or 2 minutes.

Two factors. a) Earlier kernel versions don't allow for a [write] command to execute for longer than 30 seconds [for interface used by growisofs]. b) growisofs allows limit of 3 minutes for command to execute [when kernel respects it]. Meaning that if command takes longer to execute, most notably unit is to perform power calibration in the beginning of recording, the command will time out and show as some error. Well, neither 40 or 2 mins falls to mentioned limits, which suggests that either unit is defective or

I have tested two types of DVD-R medias with the same result.
What does this message mean?
Does the burning-device be defect?

Well, neither 40 or 2 mins falls to mentioned limits, which suggests that either unit is defective or you were unlucky to hit two media brands poorly supported by your firmware. Try some quality brands, such as Verbatim, check vendor site for firmware updates... A.