Re: growisofs finds my layer break insane - Solved

Basically, my problem was how to set the layer break for preparing a video iso image and writing it to a DVD+R DL disk, doing it all under Linux.

It took a lot of digging to come up with the way to do this correctly. Its all there on the forums and in the standard tools, but I couldn't find it all spelled out in one place. And most of the stuff on the forums was written back when people were still generating the solutions.

This assumes you already have a valid video DVD fileset in an accessible directory.

1. Use PgcEdit for Linux, open the video.
Poke about to learn your way around, especially how to identify where you would like to set the break. (If you run PgcEdit under Windows, you can view the scene elements to help choose the break. The viewer will need Wine to work under Linux.)

absorb the contents of:
http://www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/blutach/dl_burning_with_pgcedit.htm

Use File -> Create ISO to generate a correctly configured iso file (in my case, "/dev/hda4/MyVideo.iso") (invokes mkisofs). The correct layer break offset will be shown, take careful note of it ("xx").

see also
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/Helppro/layerbreak.htm
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/07/msg00102.html
and *especially* this, which clarifies everything:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=95250

2. With blank DVD in drive, use cd+rw-mediainfo to choose best burning speed.

3. Use growisofs to burn the iso to DVD, xx = the layer break offset indicated by PgcEdit:

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/dvd=/mnt/hda4/MyVideo.iso -use-the-force-luke=break:xx

That's it. Worked perfectly.