Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

scdbackup@gmx.net writes:

> The setuid privileges demand w-rights ?

No, these are independent. Many OSs in fact do not check permissions for
privileged users at all, you can read files even after chmod 0.

> I mean, that is an interesting sneak, but isn't it rather
> related to   mount -o user,exec,suid  ?

Yes, but these options are default.

> Device nodes ... uh oh ... do you mean this :
> a mknod, a chmod with lax permissions, burned to CD,
> CD mounted, cat /dev/zero > /cdrom/my_dev_hda_backdoor

Exactly. It's not a sure way into the system, but something that has to
be taken into account given automount, submount, HAL, whatever.

?

> Since years, i trust Joerg's ability to defend that setuid
> situation.

I don't.
There have been problems in the past,
and I haven't audited the code.