Re: Problems with dvd+rw-tools 6 and Pioneer drive

Joerg de la Haye wrote:

Sorry for capturing this thread :-), I know that my drive is a LG and not a Pioneer, of course (and sorry for double posting, I didn't have look at the subject before posting). But I think the problem with the speed option of growisofs 6.0 is vendor independent, my guess is that it should happen with all drives with minimum writing speed of 2. I hope that I'm not wrong about that, I bet it would make it more difficult to fix if it *is* an vendor specific problem with LG.

I just did a DVD-R this morning with a Pioneer drive, as a test of the 6.0 version. The report is:
INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][DVD-RW  DVR-104 ][1.40]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
Media ID:              CMC MAG. AF1
Current Write Speed:   2.0x1385=2770KB/s
Write Speed #0:        2.0x1385=2770KB/s
Write Speed #1:        1.0x1385=1385KB/s
Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2298495 R@1.0x1385=1385KB/s W@2.0x1385=2770KB/s
Speed Descriptor#1:    00/2298495 R@1.0x1385=1385KB/s W@1.0x1385=1385KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
Media Book Type:       25h, DVD-R book [revision 5]
Legacy lead-out at:    0*2KB=0
READ DISC INFORMATION:
Disc status:           blank
Number of Sessions:    1
State of Last Session: empty
Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State:           invisible incremental
Track Start Address:   0*2KB
Next Writable Address: 0*2KB
Free Blocks:           2297888*2KB
Track Size:            2297888*2KB
READ CAPACITY:          0*2048=0

and it worked perfectly. Media is some "whatever was cheapest no-name" from a computer show. They have been working fine in all my machines, and cost me $50 for 4x100 spindles. The name is "ValueDisk." I believe they will run up to 8x in a more modern burner, but my newest D/L unit is powered down for a drive install, so I am not motivated to test more tonight.

growisofs 6.0 works fine for me here, with cheap or HP DVD-R, and with LITEON LDW-451S unit, although dvd+rw-mediainfo can't give me info on the liteon (2.6.15 kernel, old ones work).

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc