Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

Hi,

> > So i have not much reason to try any DVD-patched cdrecords yet.
> > I actually wonder why they live forth.
>
> I wondered too and questioned that, and got my head bitten off on the
> dvdrtools list

Only good we are virtual entities here.
The blood spill would be immense if we met in real life.

> A DVD+ -based burner
> has to engage some kind of emulation for DVD- media (character-based vs
> block-based), and the emulation in the burner firmware can't be trusted.

This is the first time i read about a technical reason for those
patches. I always thought it was to keep alive a source-open GPL'd
version of cdrecord which is able to burn DVD.

I wonder wether Andy and Joerg are aware of a need for such
extra treatment. (Listening for an echo now ...)

> Funny thing is though that none of the
> cdrecord dvd-patchers ever speaks up.

Besides any motivation it is not the best style to repeatedly
fork the work of somebody with whom one is in quarrel.
I am not really opposed to those versions but i confess to
have frowned on them for that style reason.

> Personally I've used growisofs for years now and it works fine, though I
> don't use -RW because +RW is just alround more convenient. No trouble
> with the -R media I burnt that I'm aware of.

My -RWs leave me after a few months but that does not look
like a subtle format problem. Rather like the dye changing
its photochemical properties within a year after production.

(The old -RWs fail on OPC with growisofs and with cdrecord-ProDVD.
The loss rate is reduced if they are in growisofs state "restricted
overwrite" and if they are rewritten frequently.
A "sequential" one that was burned and stored for a few months is
prone to death on rewrite. A virgin one, stored 14 months,
written once in "sequential" mode, immediate attempt to re-write
... dead. I did not want to believe and killed another one.
Some media from the same spindle still serve me well for daily
backups. Even the dead ones still hold their last data in a
readable way. It is some weird burn problem. Maybe firmware
plus chemistry plus lense ageing.)

I noticed that another food discounter (named "Plus", hehe) has
entered the price fight over DVD+RW media in germany.
Seems it was a good decision to purchase my +RW loving LG drive.
These media work for me as reliable as CD-RW.