Re: dvd+rw-tools update [6.0, DVD-R DL]

scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:

> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Guess why I recommend to use more than 128MB for the star FIFO
> > in order to keep the tape streaming.
> >
> > With current I/O speed, you need current RAM sizes for buffering.
>
> Googling for contemporary speeds ... HP ... 36 MB/s DLT ... 80 MB/s LTO
> ... well, i'd need a new computer first.
>
> How come that the time granularity of the backup processing chain
> does not get finer as the systems get faster ? Since our fifos
> are mainly having an averaging effect, a finer granularity would
> avoid the need to make them larger. But we clearly have to enlarge
> them. We still have to prepare for a few realtime seconds of shortage.

What do you understand by time granularity?

But oneproblem is that current drives have less internal RAM compared to
older drives if you take the drive speed into account.

> For something else:
> In
>   http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/cdwrite/2006/01/msg00057.html
> i ask wether the current behavior of cdrecord with padsize= and
> multiple tracks will be uphold or wether it will be changed to
> comply to the man page.
> A short answer would be welcome.

Well, some things that are not done immediately because of workload may be
forgotten if noone pings again.

Try:

------- cdrecord.c -------
*** /tmp/sccs.ozaqpg    Thu Jan 19 13:27:40 2006
--- cdrecord.c  Thu Jan 19 13:27:28 2006
***************
*** 3737,3745 ****
                        if (scms)
                                flags |= TI_SCMS;
                }
!               if ((flags & TI_AUDIO) == 0 && padsize > (Llong)0L)
!                       pad = TRUE;
!               if (pad) {
                        flags |= TI_PAD;
                        if ((flags & TI_AUDIO) == 0 && padsize == (Llong)0L)
                                padsize = (Llong)PAD_SIZE;
--- 3737,3743 ----
                        if (scms)
                                flags |= TI_SCMS;
                }
!               if (pad || ((flags & TI_AUDIO) == 0 && padsize > (Llong)0L)) {
                        flags |= TI_PAD;

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)