Re: growisofs will not write at 8x with NEC 3540A

Joerg Schilling wrote:

"Alexander Noe'" <alexander.noe@s2001.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

"George P Nychis" <gnychis@cmu.edu> wrote:

>> Sorry, I removed the alarm feature by getting the newest binary, I >> use gentoo and an old alpha binary was in portage. I don't get the >> alarm, but it still says writing at 6 speed:

> Does it stay at 6x in the "verbose printing while writing"  from
> cdrecord?

NEC has introduced a new feature with the 3540A model: When too many buffer underruns occur, it reduces the write speed. I can, on Windows XP, reproduce the problem that too many buffer underruns occur on this drive when using cdrecord-prodvd at 8x speed, so that it falls back to 6x speed right after the zone change to 8x.

As cdrecord meters the max DMA speed before accepting a write speed,
it seems to be unlikely that there are many buffer underruns.

I see the buffer running low several times, and it's not related to the maximum DMA speed. 13x recording on 16x media works (16x does generally not work properly under cygwin on my system).

This problem is specifically bound to newer NEC drives when recording DVD+/-R media at 8x speed and occurs when the zone change from 6x to 8x happens. This does not happen when recording DVD+RW media at 8x.

If anyone knows a tool that allows to capture the windows desktop to a video file, I could create one illustrating this issue.

regards,
Alexander